Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I find a stray dog?

A small Dog

The law regarding stray dogs changed on 6 April 2008 which means that the police can no longer accept stray dogs brought to them. Local authorities are solely reponsible for discharging all stray dog functions while the police retain their duties with regard to dangerous dogs and dogs found to be worrying livestock.

If you find a stray dog you are legally required to report it to the dog warden, who will be employed by your local council.

What happens to a stray dog?

Once a stray dog has been collected by the dog warden it is taken to kennels, where it will be kept for seven days.

If the dog is not claimed in this time the former owner loses rights to its return, and an animal charity can then offer the dog for re-homing.

Dog Warden Contact Numbers

Cambridge City Council

01223 457900 Monday to Thursday 8am to 5pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

01223 457457 Out of hours only

East Cambridgeshire District Council

01353 665555 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

07710 978900 Out of hours only

Peterborough City Council

01733 747474 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

01733 864157 Out of hours only

Huntingdonshire District Council

01480 388302 Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm and Friday 9am to 4.30pm

Out of hours please contact Wood Green Animal Sanctuary on 01480 830014 (8.30am to 4.30pm Saturday and Sunday) or 07775 847752 (night)

Fenland District Council

01354 654321 Monday to Thursday 9am to 17pm, Friday 9am to 16:45pm

Out of Hours, Please contact the Council for information on 01354 654321

South Cambridgeshire District Council

03450 450 063 at all times

Search Cambridgeshire Constabulary