Internet Hate Crime

Offensive Material and the Law

The Internet has changed the way we communicate, it has many positive values but it has also allowed the hateful to spread offence to a broader audience, without control and often anonymously.

Some people come across material on the internet that offends them, however, very little of it is actually illegal. UK laws are written to make sure that people can speak and write, even offensive material, without being prosecuted for their views. Parliament has tried to define laws in a way that balances our freedom of expression with the right to be free from hate crime.

The police have duties to promote good relationships between different parts of our communities, but we do not have powers to control offensive thoughts or words unless they are shared illegally. We understand that hate material can damage community cohesion and create fear, so we want to work alongside communities and the Internet industry to reduce the harm caused by hate on the Internet.

You can get advice on staying safe on the internet at TrueVision here

Illegal Hate Content

Inciting hatred

In England and Wales it can be an offence to stir up hatred on the grounds of:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Sexual Orientation.

Other offences

The content of a website can also be illegal when it threatens or harasses a person or a group of people. If this is posted because of hostility based on race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or transgender then we consider it to be a hate crime.

Illegal material could be in words, pictures, videos, and even music and could include;

  • messages calling for racial or religious violence
  • web pages with pictures, videos or descriptions that glorify violence against anyone due to their race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or because they are transgender.
  • chat forums where people ask other people to commit hate crimes

Terrorist material

If material promotes terrorism you should report it via the dedicated portal via the Directgov website here.

What you can do about online hate material

Most hateful or violent website content is not illegal but you can still take the steps below to have it removed if it upsets, scares or offends you.

Option One - Report it to the website administrator

Most websites have rules known as 'acceptable use policies' that set out what cannot be put on their website. Most do not allow comments, videos and photos that offend or hurt people.

Popular websites such as Facebook, YouTube or BBC News have simple ways for you to complain about a page or video.

If what you've seen is on a site with a good complaints system, you should report it to the website's owners. Look out for their 'contact us' page, which should be clearly linked.

Others will have a 'report this page' button that you can click.

Option Two - Report it to the hosting company

If the website itself is hateful or supports violence then let the website's hosting company know.

Hosting companies provide a place where the website sits, and often have rules about what they are willing to host. Let the hosting company know they are hosting a website that breaks their rules, and ask them to stop.

You can find out which company hosts a website by entering their web address on the 'Who is hosting this?' website.

You can also contact your own internet supplier to get more information.

Option Three - Report illegal Internet material to the police

If the website you have seen online matches the description of illegal content above and you think it originates in the UK, you should report it to the police. If there is any immediate risk then please dial 999 to tell us of any danger.

Which Police force should I select?

Crimes on the Internet are located where the person is when they post the material but this location is often not known, even if we know who is suspected of posting it. Home Office rules say that if the location is not known then it is the responsibility of the force where the complainant lives to commence enquiries. In these circumstances please report to the police in the area you live.

Search Cambridgeshire Constabulary